• INSTITUTION: Nicolaus Copernicus University in Toruń, Faculty of Philosophy and Social Sciences
• CITY: Toruń (Poland)
• DOMAIN: Humanities/Philosophy/Logic
• POSITION: Research Adjunct
• POSED: 2023-06-07
• EXPIRES: 2023-08-15
• KEYWORDS: adjunct, logic, logic of names, calculus of names, axiomatization, logic of names with logical gaps, logic of complex names and relative names, logic of names with probability, modal logic, tableau methods, names, non-classical logic of names, syllogistic, numerical syllogistic, semantics, term logic, philosophy of logic
The competition is open to people who meet the conditions set out in Article 113 of the Act of 20 July 2018 – Law on higher education and science (Journal of Laws of 2018, item 1668) and the following qualification criteria:
• PhD degree in philosophy/logic or mathematics;
• knowledge in the following topics: logic of names, calculus of names, semantics for logic of names, syllogistic, modal logic, set theory, tableaux methods;
• the doctoral degree was not awarded to the candidate by the Nicolaus Copernicus University in Toruń.
• a post-doc type position is a full-time position for a person who has obtained their Ph.D. degree within seven years before joining the project (planned employment from November 1, 2023).
• good command of English in writing, listening and speaking;
• no knowledge of Polish is required.
• carrying out research tasks set out in the project description;
• participating in design and planning details of the implementation of the research tasks;
• participating in preparation of research results for presentation and publication;
• presenting and publishing research results in collaboration with members of the research project team;
• participating in research-related activities, e.g., organizing conferences and workshops;
• participating in research team meetings;
• collaborating with the project manager when preparing research results for publication.
• full support for participation in workshops and conferences (several a year);
• full support for short-term abroad research stays (up to one month, more than one a year is possible);
• possibility to work on open problems in the field of name logic, modal logic and tableau methods;
• technical support (laptop, monitor);
• good financial conditions.
• The doctoral degree was not awarded to the candidate by the Nicolaus Copernicus University in Toruń.
• A post-doc type position is a full-time position for a person who has obtained their Ph.D. degree within seven years before joining the project (planned employment from November 1, 2023).
• While employed within the project, the candidate will neither receive any other payment from the funds granted under direct costs from research projects financed by NCN nor will receive any payment from another employer on the basis of an employment contract.
• The employee is expected to reside in Toruń while employed within the project.
Evidence of the following may be an advantage:
• publications in peer-reviewed scientific publications in a field related to the project topic;
• experience in conducting research projects;
• organizational, administrative, and media skills.
Nicolaus Copernicus University in Toruń offers a full-time post-doctoral position within the NCN-funded research project „Philosophical and metalogical foundations of logic of names: semantics, tableau methods and axiomatization” (NCN grant no. 2021/43/B/HS1/03187), PI: prof. dr. hab. Andrzej Pietruszczak.
• form of employment: fixed-term employment contract;
• length of employment: full-time;
• starting date of employment: 1 November 2023 or as soon as possible after the date;
• the maximum duration of employment: 30 months.
A post-doc type position is a full-time position for a person who has obtained their Ph.D. degree within seven years before joining the project (planned employment from 1 November 2023).
While employed within the project, the candidate will neither receive any other payment from the funds granted under direct costs from research projects financed by NCN nor will receive any payment from another employer on the basis of an employment contract.
The employee is expected to reside in Toruń while employed within the project.
• Cover letter.
• Personal questionnaire (form to be downloaded).
• Professional curriculum vitae.
• Copy of the higher education diploma.
• Copy of the doctorate certificate.
• Information about scientific, didactic and organizational achievements (abstract comprising candidate’s most important areas of research, and scientific, educational, and other achievements).
• List of publications (including the publishing house/journal, year of publication, and page number).
• Declaration of consent to the processing of personal data contained in the job offer for the needs of the recruitment process, in accordance with the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of The Council od 27 April 2016 (L119/1) (form to be downloaded).
• Declaration under art. 113 ust. 1 ustawy Prawo o szkolnictwie wyższym (o niekaralności) (Art. Paragraph 113 (1) of the Higher Education Act (of no criminal record)) (form to be downloaded).
• Declaration that Nicolaus Copernicus University in Toruń will be the only employer during the contract (form to be downloaded).
Documents should be submitted by email: email@example.com
Closing date 15 August 2023.
The contest will be adjudicated no later than 2023-09-20.
The employment will commence on 2023-11-01.
The university does not provide accommodation.
Forms to be downloaded: http://www.umk.pl/en/employment/forms/
The offer: https://www.umk.pl/en/employment/