- prof. dr hab. Cezary Cieśliński, president
- dr hab. Leszek Wroński, vice president
- dr Mateusz Łełyk, secretary
- dr Wojciech Rostworowski, tresauer
- prof. dr hab. Tomasz Placek, former president
- prof. dr hab. Janusz Czelakowski, member
- dr hab. Joanna Golińska-Pilarek, member
- dr hab. Marcin Miłkowski, member
BOARD OF THE CONTROL
- dr Andrzej Malec, member
- dr hab. Krystyna Misiuna, member
- prof. dr hab. Kazimierz Trzęsicki, member
Call for Researcher
Junior researcher position in paraconsistent logic
Emerging Field: Logic and Philosophy of Science,
Department of Logic, Nicolaus Copernicus University (NCU) in Toruń, Poland
Department of Logic of NCU in Toruń and Emerging Field: “Logic and Philosophy of Science” invite beginning researchers to apply for a junior researcher position in paraconsistent logic. Next to the general studying of logic and philosophy, the aim is to focus on some aspects of non-classical logic, particularly paraconsistency, with the
emphasis on the Polish approach to it (https://apcz.umk.pl/czasopisma/index.php/LLP/article/view/LLP.2001.004/0).
The expected result is the preparation of papers on non-classical logic. The work includes, among others, seminars, discussions, research, and also practice in preparing drafts of papers. The person hired for the position will be recommended for a PhD student position in philosophy in Doctoral School of Humanities, Theology and Arts (Academia Artium Humaniorum) in 2021/2022 with the research project based on Polish approach to paraconsistent logic.
Experience and requirements
Candidates are required to have (for the full list of required documents, please see below):
- a master’s degree in philosophy or mathematics (or to be close to obtaining it),
- ability to work in a team and social competence,
- at least one publication in English published in journal devoted to logic, philosophy or mathematics.
The offer includes
- practice in writing scientific texts,
- co-authorship of publications submitted to the highly rated journals,
- co-authorship of papers presented at international conferences,
- financed cooperation,
- a chance of obtaining additional funds for the implementation of individual tasks connected with publishing activity,
- a PhD student position in philosophy in Doctoral School of Humanities, Theology and Arts,
- after obtaining a PhD student position, a scholarship for doctoral students at Nicolaus Copernicus University in Toruń.
The deadline is the 10th of July.
If you are interested, please send your application to the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please attach the following documents to your application:
- Motivation letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Opinion of the supervisor of the master’s thesis or another academic employee of the unit in which the thesis was/is prepared on the value of the candidate’s master’s thesis.
- Achievements and qualifications of the candidate:
- Scientific publications: a list of all publications of the candidate and copies of up to three selected publications/papers to be included in the assessment
- Qualifications and activity in the field of science:
- participation as a lecturer in conferences, scientific projects (indicate the three most important ones),
- organizational work for scientific projects, involvement in editorial offices of scientific publications, activity in the work of student research clubs (indicate the three most important achievements),
- external scholarships and awards (maximum three), – other qualifications important for the implementation of the
Call for Researcher
Call for Researcher
Emerging Field: Logic and Philosophy of Science,
Department of Logic, Nicolaus Copernicus University in Toruń,
Toruń Logic Group invites beginning researchers to take part in the project financed by Emerging Field: Logic and Philosophy of Science (www.umk.pl/en/research-uni/emerging-fields/humanities/).
The aim of the project is research on applications of relating logic and semantics (more details on relating logic and semantics at: https://www.filozofia.umk.pl/katedra-logiki/konferencje/call-na-workshop-on-relating-logic/ ) to the following areas:
- epistemic logic
- causal logic
- deontic logic.
Role of young researcher:
The aim of participations in the project is to work on those areas under supervision of experienced researcher, which includes, among others, discussions, research, and preparation of drafts of papers.
- online, financed cooperation for at least one year
- co-authorship of publications submitted to the highly rated journals
- co-authorship of papers presented at international conferences
- practice in writing scientific texts
- payment for the implementation of individual tasks
- possibility of scholarship for doctoral studies at Nicolaus Copernicus University in Toruń after one year of good-cooperation
- possibility of scholarship for a research visit at NCU in Toruń, after the pandemic ends.
Conditions and deadline:
Candidates should have a master’s degree or be close to obtaining a master’s degree. If you are interested, please send your application to the following e-mail address:
The deadline is: 05th, April
- description of academic achievements and scientific interests
- motivation letter
- recommendation letter (not necessary, but welcome).
The international conference “Logical structure of the world. Axiological vision of patriotism. In XXV. anniversary of the death of Father J. M. Bocheński”
On October 18, 2019, the Senate of the Republic of Poland marked 2020 as the Year of Father Józef M. Bocheński, “to pay tribute to this outstanding scientist, priest and patriot on the 25th anniversary of his death.” A part of this celebration is the conference organized by the Institute of Philosophy at the Cardinal Stefan Wyszyński University in Warsaw and the Institute of Philosophy at the Warsaw University. The conference will be attended by guests: prof. Johannes Czermak (Salzburg), prof. Edward Świderski (Friborg), prof. Paul Wiengartner (Salzburg), and outstanding Polish philosophers and logicians interested in the work of J. M. Bocheński. The conference will address issues belonging to the following areas: history of philosophy and history of logic, logical philosophy, philosophical logic, and political science.
Organizers: Institute of Philosophy of the Cardinal Stefan Wyszynski University in Warsaw; Institute of Philosophy of the University of Warsaw
Deadline: 24/04/2020 – 25/04/2020
Place: Institute of Philosophy CSWU; Wóycickiego Street 1/3, Warsaw; building 23, room 201
Conference fee: 250 PLN / 60 Euro
Deadline for applications: 10/03/2020
Logic Colloquium 2020
The Logic Colloquium is the European Summer Meeting of the Association for Symbolic Logic, that in 2020 will be held from 13th to 18th of July at the Adam Mickiewicz University, Poznań, Poland. It is organized jointly by the AMU Faculties: of Psychology and Cognitive Science and of Mathematics and Computer Science.
The latest meetings took place in Helsinki (2015), Leeds (2016), Stockholm (2017), Udine (2018) and Prague (2019).
The Association for Symbolic Logic is an international organization supporting research and critical studies in logic. Its primary function is to provide an effective forum for the presentation, publication, and critical discussion of scholarly work in this area of inquiry.
January 31st, 2020 – registration opens
March 31st, 2020 – deadline for abstract submission
April 13th, 2020 – deadline for student travel awards applications
April 30th, 2020 – notifications
May 25th, 2020 – camera-ready abstracts due
June 13th, 2020 – early payments deadline
July 7th, 2020 – late payments deadline
Trends in Logic XX: “Logic and Reasoning: Formal and Informal”
The 20th Trends in Logic international conference, Logic and Reasoning: Formal and Informal, will be held at the Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Kyiv, Ukraine, May 13-15, 2020. It is organized by the Department of Logic at the Faculty of Philosophy of the Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, in co-operation with Studia Logica.
Abstract submission deadline: 06 January, 2019
Notification of acceptance: 01 February, 2020
Registration opens: 10 February, 2020
Early registration closes: 16 March, 2020
Abstracts of at most three pages length (including references) should be submitted electronically as pdf documents using the EasyChair submission page at https://easychair.org/my/conference?conf=trends2020
At least one author of each accepted paper must register for, and attend the conference to present her or his work.
The 2nd International Interdisciplinary Conference. Philosophical Basis for Making Decisions and Non-Classical Logics
The conference is organized on the 140th anniversary of the birth of Professor Jan Łukasiewicz, who was a famous representative of Lviv-Warsaw School of Logic with contributions to philosophical logic, mathematical logic, and history of logic.
The conference will take place in Rzeszów, Poland, February 1, 2019.
An open position in mathematical logic
at the Jagiellonian University in Kraków
Rector of the Jagiellonian University announces a call for applications for a position of ASSISTANT PROFESSOR (in Polish terminology ADIUNKT) in the Faculty of Philosophy Department of Logic with an area of specialization in mathematical logic.
Poznan Reasoning Week
Poznan Reasoning Week (print version)
Poznań, Poland, 5-10.09.2016
In recent years we are witnessing a cognitive turn in logic. It results in inclusion of some areas of cognitive science, psychology and computer science into its hard core. Consequently, logic becomes capable of modelling actual cognitive activity of real life agents. This turn does not create a rival for the mathematical logic: it forms a next step in the development of logic. It also reminds that for many centuries logic stood in a close and natural relationship to the science of actual reasoning processes.
Poznań Reasoning Week, consisting of three conferences, aims at bringing together experts from various fields, whose research focus on reasoning processes and their modelling from three perspectives:
- the interplay of logic and cognition (Logic and Cognition 2016);
- formal modelling of reasoning and argumentation (14th ArgDiap);
- natural question processing (QuestPro 2016).
Logic and Cognition 2016 , 5-6.09.2016
Logic and Cognition is an initiative focusing on research on the interplay of logic, cognitive science, psychology and computer science which aim at sheding the light on actual reasoning processes. In particular we invite submissions on:
- applications of logic to the analysis of actual human reasoning,
- tools and methods suited for such applications,
- neural basis of logical reasoning,
- educational issues of cognitively-oriented logic.
14th ArgDiap: Formal Models of Reasoning and Argumentation , 7-8.09.2016
In a joint initiative with ArgDiap organisation we invite submissions on theory and practice of argumentation, formal modelling of argumentative processes, dialogue and persuasion, and empirical research on these phenomena.
QuestPro 2016 , 9-10.09.2016
There is only a little exaggeration in saying that fluency in reasoning with questions is a landmark of human intelligence. Question processing is a crucial factor in information processing in general, and more often than not the effectiveness of the latter depends on successfull execution of the former. The main purpose of QuestPro 2016 is to assess the state-of-the-art in research on questions and questioning, from the point of view of both logic and its applications to modelling natural language processes, thus bridging the gap between formal and empirical research in this field.
[ArgDiap / L&C] Ruth Byrne (The University of Dublin)
[L&C] Adam Chuderski (Institute of Philosophy, Jagiellonian University)
[QuestPro] Ivano Ciardelli (Institute for Logic, Language and Computation, Universiteit van Amsterdam)
[QuestPro] Jonathan Ginzburg (UFR d’Études anglophones, Université Paris-Diderot)
[QuestPro] Yacin Hamami (The Centre for Logic and Philosophy of Science, Vrije Universiteit Brussel)
[QuestPro] Philipp E. Koralus (University of Oxford)
[L&C] Michiel van Lambalgen (Institute for Logic, Language and Computation, Universiteit van Amsterdam)
[ArgDiap / L&C] Keith Stenning (Edinburgh University)
[ArgDiap] Andrzej Wiśniewski (Institute of Psychology, Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznań)
We invite you to submit proposals for contributed talks and posters.
- 2-3 pages extended abstracts (including bibliography).
- Please use the llncs LaTeX class for abstracts; for details go here: https://poznanreasoningweek.wordpress.com/cfp/
- Abstracts should contain name of the author (authors), affiliation and e-mail address.
- Send PDF and TEX file to Dorota.Leszczynska@amu.edu.pl.
- In the e-mail title please indicate:
- Title of the submission.
- The event you want to submit your work to (L&C 2016, 14th ArgDiap or QuestPro 2016).
- Contributed talk or Poster.
Authors of the abstracts accepted as presentation or poster are invited to submit their original research for publication in a special issue of „Logic and Logical Philosophy” . Papers must be in the order of 6000 to 8000 words (including references), and must address one or more of the conference themes, whether from an empirical or a more conceptual perspective.
Special issue submissions details will follow soon. Submitted manuscripts will follow the usual review process of the journal.
FEES AND FINANCIAL SUPPORT
Logic and Cognition 2016: 5-6.09.2016 (including PRW poster session) – 30 EUR
PRW 2016 poster session: 6.09.2016 – 30 EUR
14th ArgDiap: 7-8.09.2016 – 50 EUR
QuestPro 2016: 9-10.09.2016 – 30 EUR
Poznań Reasoning Week (all events): 5-10.09.2016 – 70 EUR
Participants from countries with underfunded academic institutions are invited to apply for a financial support (reduction of the conference fee, travelling costs refund). All correspondence concerning the financial support should be directed to Pawel.Lupkowski@amu.edu.pl.
Participation (without a talk or a poster) in the PRW 2016 events is free, however we ask you to register.
- Submission deadline: 30.06.2016
- Notification: 22.07.2016
- Camera ready abstracts: 29.07.2016
- Logic and Cognition 2016: 5-6.09.2016
- 14th ArgDiap: 7-8.09.2016
- QuestPro 2016: 9-10.09.2016
The Emergence of Structuralism and Formalism – Call for Papers
The Emergence of Structuralism and Formalism
June 24.- 26. 2016
Prague, Czech Republic